Are you interested in learning more about Jesus and the Catholic Faith? Want to know more about what Catholics believe? Interested in joining the Church? This program is for you! The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) process has several distinct stages:
- Inquiry: This is the initial stage to learn about Jesus, through the Gospels, and the Catholic faith. It is an opportunity to ask questions without formal structure.
- Catechumenate: In this stage, more structured training occurs to assist in nurturing your relationship with Jesus Christ and developing an understanding of the teaching of the Catholic Church.
- Purification and Preparation: Typically occurs during the Lenten season. Here you will have time for reflection while the Church helps you focus intensely on your faith as you prepare to be received into the Catholic Church at Easter. This period is marked by several rites.
- Initiation: The liturgical rite, usually celebrated at the Easter Vigil, where the candidates and catechumens receive the Sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist.
- Mystagogy: A short period of reflection and discussion, after the Initiation, where neophytes learn more about life in Christ.
- Spanish start date: TBA.
- English start date: Monday, September 14, 2020.
- First Sunday of Advent: November 29, 2020
- Rite of Acceptance / Welcome: Sunday, December 6, 2020
- Ash Wednesday: February 17, 2021
- Rite of Election / Enrollment: Sunday, February 21, 2021
- Easter Vigil: Saturday, April 3, 2021
- Participants and their Sponsors must attend all Rites and the Easter Vigil.
- Sponsors are strongly encouraged to accompany participants to class and to bring them to weekend Mass.
It is expected that candidates will:
- Attend all scheduled classes
- Participate in all Rites and ceremonies
- Submit Sacramental records (if required) by December 6, 2020
- Submit the name of their sponsor and approved Sponsor Form by December 6, 2020
The Scrutinies: Scrutinies are rites in which the Candidates and Catechumens are presented to the Assembly and provided sacramentals to assist on their journey
- First Scrutiny – Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 10:00 Mass
- Second Scrutiny – Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 10:00Mass
- Third Scrutiny – Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:00 Mass
Period of Mystagogia: Begins Monday, April 12, 2021 and continues for a few weeks, as deemed necessary by the catechist and neophytes
Material used for RCIA: Approved by the Diocese of Cheyenne and as determined by the Faith Formation Director. Typically will include Symbolon and the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults.