POSITION TITLE: Director of Music Ministries
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Our Lady of the Mountains Roman Catholic Church is a mainstream Roman Catholic parish, liturgically, theologically and musically. It is the sole Roman Catholic Church in the mountain resort of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Therefore, OLM serves a broad constituency in terms of musical styles and programs so as to answer the needs of all OLM sectors.
Ideally, the person who fills this position will be a Roman Catholic Christian who inspires and draws people to God through music. The DOM must be respectful and knowledgeable of the Roman Catholic Church and its liturgical, theological and musical traditions, rubrics and protocols. The Director of Music must possess a thorough knowledge of, and strong desire to collaborate with the Pastor, his leadership and colleagues. He/she must embrace and have experience in both contemporary (praise and worship) and traditional Catholic church music as well as the desire to help foster and grow music ministries of quality that is warm, joyful, uplifting and above all, inclusive.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and serve as principal pianist/keyboard musician for all weekend Masses, Holy Days of Obligation, as per liturgical calendar and/or other as requested by the Pastor or his designate.
- Grow, recruit, and direct parish choirs, musical groups, and coordinate parise and worship ensembles and provide them with appropriate music and changing liturgical Mass propers as well as seasonal musical selections.
- Serve as parish liaison and/or musician as requested for funerals, weddings and events held at OLM and its mission Chapel.
- Support Spanish Mass musicians regarding major bilingual celebrations: OLG, Christmas Day, Holy Week and Easter, First Communion and Confirmation as directed by the Pastor or his designate.
- Work with the Religious Education program as requested by the Pastor or his designate. Collaborate with the RE program and with parents to form and grow a Children’s/Youth Choir or ensemble to sing for special Masses and at Christmastime and other major feasts and solemnities.
- Oversee and maintain the condition of musical instruments and sound system.
- Build and maintain an organized music library.
- Prepare and manage music department budget.
- Attend all meetings with OLM’s Pastor and/or Business Manager as requested. Attend parish committee meetings as requested by the Pastor.
- Arrange for musical replacements for vacations and other absences by becoming familiar and collegial with other church musicians in Jackson.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Pastor or his designate.
II. POSITION REPORTS TO: The Pastor of Our Lady of the Mountains Church
III. EXPERIENCE: A minimum three to five years of experience is preferred in a sizeable Roman Catholic Church music program as pianist/keyboardist/director. Organ experience is a plus but not required. Experience as a choral/[praise and worship director is necessary.
IV. EDUCATION: A bachelor of music degree from a recognized educational institution is preferred.
Equivalent experience will be considered.